The Four Word Film Review Fourum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Return to homepage
Join fwfr View the top reviews Frequently Asked Questions Click for advanced search
 All Forums
 Off-Topic
 General
 Baftababe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 13/06/2023 :  23:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

Has anyone heard from her recently? It looks as though she hasn't visited here for a while, but some of us on FB are getting a little concerned, as she hasn't been heard from for around five or six weeks

TIA

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 14/06/2023 :  21:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope everything is ok
Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Guernsey

Posted - 15/06/2023 :  14:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No sir
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 01/08/2023 :  22:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got the sad news from Tori on Facebook. She tagged everyone
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

United Kingdom

Posted - 02/08/2023 :  21:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fwiffers never really die.
Their reviews live forever.

R.I.P.

Edited by - Whippersnapper. on 02/08/2023 21:18:32
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 02/08/2023 :  21:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Beth passed away peacefully last night. My wife managed to get through to the hospital earlier today and was given the news.

She had a conversation with Sarah, one of the nurses on the ward where Beth had been staying. Beth had a combination of medical problems. There were blood clots on her lungs for which she was taking blood thinners. She had heart problems, and was declining to eat, drink, and take her medication. Her kidneys were also failing, leading to an unpleasant downward spiral.

The thinners were causing her to bleed, but once she was taken off those the clots reappeared.

One of us will talk to the bereavement office late this week or early next week to try and find out more information about funeral arrangements.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 03/08/2023 :  11:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorely sorry to hear of Beth's passing.
Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Guernsey

Posted - 03/08/2023 :  14:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very sad news, thank you for letting us know in the Fourum.

Seems appropriate that we put our 4 word eulogies somewhere:

http://www.fwfr.com/fourum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48253
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 04/08/2023 :  04:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agonized a bit over whether to post this because Beth was someone we all came to know to some degree, aside from her public persona. But she had a public persona, so fuck it, here it goes:

Beth was not everyone�s cup of tea. She had a rocky start here at FWFR, as those who remember �The Great Deletion� may attest.* The problem was apparent from Day One: Beth was a living part of television, film and theatre history. While she did not enjoy the extent of fame some other actors did, Beth made the hard decision to forego certainty and stability and dove headlong into the world of entertainment at the age of 12, making the study and practice of the craft her life�s work. Born in 1942, Beth lived through and participated in a portion of the Golden Age of television and film. She rubbed elbows and cavorted with a wide range of acting legends. She once had a one-night stand with New York Yankee legend Joe Pepitone. Go to Wikipedia to get a feel for her life, but that�s not the full tale.

Back to our story: so when Beth arrived, Beth deserved some form of reverence among we ragtag band of four-word, funny, funky, flaky, fucking-foul-mouthed friends of benj clews (yes, I�m starting an FWFR recovery group called �Friends of benj clews,� but we�ll save that for another day. And, yes, I lower-cased his name because he did. And, yes, we often had to explain ourselves to each other for fear of offending inadvertently. And, yes, we sometimes offended each other inadvertently. And, yes, I always found a way to make everything about me. And, yes, that last statement was a lie. And, yes, you see the irony; and, yes; and, yes; and, yes; and yes). Oh: and, yes, when Beth arrived, she let us know her pedigree. I once heard from one of the MERPs (no, I�m not one) that she basically demanded to be admitted to that august group because, obviously, as a voting member of BAFTA and some other such BAFTA-related honors, she was clearly qualified. And I am told that they all grumbled, but they all agreed. Because it was true.

Beth demanded attention, but isn�t that the very nature of entertainment? Who ever heard of an entertainer who wants no attention? I wish I could tell you where the fork in the road was for Beth, and how she came to take the path of expatriation, and dramaturge, and elder stateswoman of entertainment, but I don�t know for certain. I believe Beth was an authority, and that she wanted to be authoritative about the arts she loved, because that�s how Beth communicated; she knew things, and she wanted you to know things; and she wanted you to know that she knew the things she knew that she wanted you to know. I remember shutting her up once in a private fourum post when I conceded her greater knowledge of all things dramatic and promised to visit, get into a heated argument with her over something entertainy, only to end up passionately kissing, and then I would shove her up against a tree and do something pretty goddamned sexual. It was hilarious, because she was clearly flustered and had no idea how to respond. I think that's when she told me about Joe Pepitone.

She once asked me for my opinion on a poem she wrote, and I made the poor choice actually to edit the thing (I thought it was very good and I thought my small suggestions were very good � I�ve been editing written shit for decades, and I figured she knew it and that�s why she asked my opinion!). She was cordial about the editorial act, but it was clear that she wanted praise, not assistance (and, really, don�t we all?). What she missed was that I was praising her. She sent me an advance copy of one of her collections of short stories for editorial commentary. This time I knew better and left the edity thing out of my response.

Beth wore her soul on her sleeve. In spite of all of her experience and her refinement, Beth had an antiqued rawness to her. She had worth, and she knew it. But she could be hurt if you didn't know it too. And that's because what she had was talent and a talent for living a brutal and beautiful truth. We can only hope that others can read the legacy of her written work to catch a glimpse, or if lucky, to understand.

Rest in peace, dear Beth. I hope I haven't offended your memory; but then, there's always that tree.

*The Great Deletion occurred shortly after Beth�s arrival here at FWFR. As I recall, one day a couple of weeks after Beth arrived, all of her reviews were deleted as well as a good chunk of her posts in the Fourum. Ironically, this happened immediately after a confrontation involving Beth occurred in the Fourum. Sensing that Beth may have been offended, a number of us did our best to reach out and send/post supportive messages to her. She returned, advising that she�d had a visitor over who got access to her computer, made several confrontational posts in the Fourum under her login and then proceeded to remove all evidence of her presence on the site. Of course, we all believed this unlikely story without doubt, reservation or hesitation. Yessiree: without doubt, reservation or hesitation. Yup. We never spoke of it in public again.

Edited by - MguyX on 04/08/2023 05:22:51
Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Guernsey

Posted - 04/08/2023 :  14:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was better than a night with Joe Pepitone!

Thank you Mguy, I've missed those.

Beth would love it, I'm confident.
Go to Top of Page

Tori 
"I don't get it...."

Posted - 04/08/2023 :  21:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm crying at my desk; that was so beautiful, John.

I said "this is great" to everything she sent me. I somehow knew better than to have an opinion.

I don't remember the great deletion, but it sounds about right.

She was so good and warm to me and my family, it made it easy to overlook her foibles.

But boy was she a character who was a character.

I miss her so much. It's been two months since we've spoken, which is a lifetime. I hate knowing the last time was the last time and I didn't know it.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 06/08/2023 :  21:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a great story MGuyX. So in-depth. I�m glad you said Fuck It and did it anyways. I sense I know her more now even though I didn�t know her at all. Hell, we�re all a cast of characters here. Living our own crazy life with crazy mannerisms on this crazy site. It�s odd that we have all gotten along on here for so long even though most of the Internet can�t get along as well. Wish we some of the original crew would come back and keep in touch. Before we hear about Having No Spare Change or anyone else becoming a FWTO. So glad to have met you and know you all. This site has been a sunshine in our lives. Hope to never lose touch. I hope to one day be well remembered and have a story like that. Guess I need to find me a baseball player first. Lol. Cheers to you all!
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 08/08/2023 :  05:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Great Deletion was rivalled only by Corduroy Pillow's reviews that were not written by her!
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 14/08/2023 :  12:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great words MGuyX. Even though I met BB a couple of times I never knew much about the life she lived before that so it made a fascinating read. I regret that I didn't make it out to see her more recently but it's gratifying to hear there were others here she was so in touch with
Go to Top of Page

Gentleman Ghost 
"Brevity: soul of wit."

United States

Posted - 21/09/2023 :  00:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Guardian published this obituary online. http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/sep/18/beth-porter-obituary
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 21/09/2023 :  01:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gentleman Ghost

The Guardian published this obituary online. http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/sep/18/beth-porter-obituary

Thanks for the link.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000