The Four Word Film Review Fourum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Return to homepage
Join fwfr View the top reviews Frequently Asked Questions Click for advanced search
 All Forums
 FWFR Related
 Site Features
 Long time coming (or "The new FWFR")...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 23/01/2011 :  23:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Quite a transformation, benj. Thanks for all your hard work. I'll spend the next couple of days exploring.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  00:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

Okay, maybe I should stress this isn't intended to be navigated on a phone (even an iPhone).

Well, don't you think that is rather a retrograde step?

Not really- as advanced as mobile devices are getting, full-blown websites are getting increasingly even more advanced. It's no coincidence that code libraries specifically for mobile devices are now growing in popularity, as most professional web developers now see mobile devices as an entirely different environment to code for. Write once, use everywhere code simply isn't viable for anything but blogs anymore- it either drags down the non-mobile experience, overloads the mobile device or, more likely, does a bit of both.

quote:

I have gone through long periods almost entirely accessing the site on my 'phone, and other than occasional small things such as accolade and stat creation (neither of which I have tried that I can remember) it has been totally fine. I know we've had this discussion before, but except for Facebook (and then only because the application filters out stupider parts of the website) I don't like special versions of sites. Flash aside, the iPhone really is fine for looking at normal versions of them.

I appreciate the iPhone is a very capable device but that doesn't mean a developer should just chuck whatever they like at it- it's all about optimising as best as you can for the device. Simple as that.

Also, I'm flattered that you already dislike my mobile version of fwfr before it's even been written. I'm guessing you'd also have said the same thing about a mobile version of Facebook had someone told you one was in the works?
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  00:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

I'm guessing the accolade thing still has a few kinks to sort out, such as I'm not sure I can add one.

Are you logged in? If so, you should be able to add an accolade anywhere you see accolades listed by clicking the bar just below the box header.

quote:

Just a tidge on the search function ... I tried to enter Chico & Rita. The system found it in the search box, but replaced the ampersand with some code and then it couldn't load. I think there was always a prob with titles that have diacriticals - umlauts, accents graves, etc

Is that a huge sort-out hassle, or something easy-peasy?

Surprisingly fiddly this one. Still working on it.

Ah, logged in!! Yes, it's all coming clear
Very very cool indeed. I love it!

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  01:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BiggerBoat

How do you get through to the top reviews of the day? Can't see it.

There's no top reviews of the day presently- just top voted (red rosettes) and top voted this week (blue rosettes). It's on my list now
Go to Top of Page

[matt] 
"Cinemattic."

United Kingdom

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  02:58:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BiggerBoat

Benj, will you be able to see top reviewers by total votes and average votes?

Now I know it's wanted I can see about adding it, yep.

I'd like that feature to remain as well please benj.

Wow, the new site is very different! A few suggestions:

The reviewer rank icons next to reviews are very large, as are the reviewer names. IMHO, this makes the page quite visually busy when looking at a page of reviews, and it makes the details of the reviewers a distraction from the actual reviews. It also makes it hard to see at a glance how many votes each one has.

What do you think about building in the ability to set your MyFWFR page so that the reviews are displayed as lists like they are currently, rather than in the speech bubbles? While the new way does look more consistent with the rest of the site, it means you can only see 5 reviews at once in each category (approved, voted, etc.)

Rather than the big yellow sticky note where it says "Add your own review", perhaps you could simply have the blank speech bubble? (The way it looks once you've clicked the sticky note and then clicked just outside the blue text box to make that go away.) Might look a bit cleaner.

Also, the 'Tweet This' link creates an incorrect message when it opens the new Twitter page. ("RT @your_twitter_id...")

Edited by - [matt] on 24/01/2011 03:00:07
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  02:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, I'm flattered that you already dislike my mobile version of fwfr before it's even been written. I'm guessing you'd also have said the same thing about a mobile version of Facebook had someone told you one was in the works?

No, I certainly wouldn't have, as I had already repeatedly noted that Facebook was a very clunky website with numerous annoying features that I would rather not have to be exposed to, whereas I have repeatedly noted that design-wise this website is excellent. Besides, I haven't made any criticism of your future mobile site. (You cannot possibly be offended by my very general statement about not liking mobile versions: I am allowed to comment on my whole experience as an Internet user, you know. The point is that mobile versions have to be quite rubbish, in order to accommodate rubbish mobiles.) The problem is that it does not exist, whereas the new main site almost does exist. If you're prepared to leave the current form of the site available until the mobile one is (or preferably for ever), then it's fine. If you're not, then my point stands that I won't be able to browse reviews. I vote for quite enough reviews already that I don't want to also be accidentally voting for all the tedious ones that people for some reason choose to submit. On top of all that, touch screens are of course not restricted to 'phones.

Is it better for this (text-based) website to be pointlessly more complicated just because websites can be more complicated nowadays, or for it to be accessible from more places?
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  03:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by [matt]

I'd like [total and average votes] to remain as well please benj.

Not just that, but these should have primacy over total reviews, both in the rankings themselves and if sorting by reviewer rank is still possible on film pages (though I don't think that it should be).
quote:
Rather than the big yellow sticky note where it says "Add your own review", perhaps you could simply have the blank speech bubble? (The way it looks once you've clicked the sticky note and then clicked just outside the blue text box to make that go away.) Might look a bit cleaner.

Yup; this would also make it clear where line breaks will occur, which is an issue in more than a few reviews. Also, as I've asked for many times, if it hasn't been applied already please can the font of the submission box and the pending list be the same as approved reviews? (I assume that pending probably is the same already.) The reason for this is to see how well some visual things will work, such as replacing certain characters with others &c.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  03:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an old wish list, for what it's worth. I'd definitely like to be able to see each user's accolades created (including my own) as a page of trophies. Talking of accolades, a thing that has always bugged me is that I have to go to my accolades page to edit them. I think that if one is within one's own accolade from anywhere else (e.g. a Fourum link, a film page or another user's accolades achieved page) then one should be able to edit it.

We should also be able to access a list of our own top-voted-review films (and indeed anyone else's; why not?). The programming has obviously had access to this info since stats came in all those years ago, so it's just a case of displaying the list.

The background colours of the new site seem to change wildly. You should check whether that is advised from a disability-access point of view; I'm guessing it's not. In fact, there's an ethical burden on any website these days to provide a version suitable for the visually impaired, e.g. white text on black and/or plain backgrounds.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  03:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I almost never look at the What film? bubble, but I tried to click on it in the new site now and it just kept renewing it with a different review. It reminds me that whenever I do occasionally click on it I then have to hunt around if I want to vote on the review. If one goes to a film page via that then I think the review in question should be highlighted in some way.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  04:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I AM UTTERLY AMAZED AND ASTOUNDED! benj, my main man, you are a design GOD! Every time you dish out a new version of the site, it truly just gets better.

I'm not so worried about the kinks at the moment, s I want to congratulate you on what is nothing short of a labour of love (I even used the British spelling!).
Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  04:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
first impression is that the new version has a much more sophisticated and modern feel, it looks great.

Navigation will take a bit of getting used to, but so it did when you moved to the current version of site.

Really looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into when i have a bit of time free next weekend.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  08:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The point is that mobile versions have to be quite rubbish, in order to accommodate rubbish mobiles.

Quite wrong I'm afraid. The WHOLE point of mobile versions is to be accessible and relevant to mobile devices. Just like how Apple didn't simply port OS/X to the iPhone, they instead reduced the functionality to that which suited the platform and adjusted the interface to fit the form factor, e.g. increasing button sizes, etc... Would you call iOS4 rubbish because it doesn't do everything OS/X does?

quote:

Is it better for this (text-based) website to be pointlessly more complicated just because websites can be more complicated nowadays, or for it to be accessible from more places?

Could you explain what features on the new site are pointlessly more complicated?
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  08:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The background colours of the new site seem to change wildly. You should check whether that is advised from a disability-access point of view; I'm guessing it's not. In fact, there's an ethical burden on any website these days to provide a version suitable for the visually impaired, e.g. white text on black and/or plain backgrounds.

This is irrelevant. You're talking about the background of the page, not the background of the content. There's nothing to read on the background of the page, therefore no readability issues to consider.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  10:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beats me, benj, how you stay so patient in the face of whining from the black box. What a clunt! I haven't read any of his posts, just your replies. Your wise, informed, patient replies. Everyone else can see how much work you've put in, how we will adjust to the changes, how to offer constructive points for your consideration with the respect you deserve. A site of this complexity achieved single-handedly ... you are a genius and a guru.

Please, dear benj, can we please have a thread of celebration for an exceedingly difficult job ever-so-well done, instead of its turning into a rant fest for some graceless, misguided, self-centered, solipsistic, unhappy plucking crick.

Please, benj, smile and hold your head high.

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  10:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

(Don't forget to add the "consideration" button on our reviews. We'll need that! But I'm sure you have that on your list already.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000